CHANGING THE NARRATIVE
These numbers will be updated shortly with the release of the Michigan Campaign to End Homelessness (MCTEH) 2022 Annual Report.
We can all make a difference when it comes to helping Michigan’s homeless. We all know that we can volunteer and donate at our local shelter, but there is so much more that you can do.
We asked the members of our Michigan Homeless Speakers Bureau to share ways that you can help:
- Be respectful to individuals experiencing homelessness in your community. Treating all members of our communities with dignity and respect can go a long way in breaking down stereotypes and stigmas associated with homelessness. If you see someone needing help, look them in the eye, shake their hand, and treat them the way you would want to be treated if you were in their shoes.
- Volunteer and donate at your local agency and homeless service providers. While it’s great to give items or show up at the holidays, these agencies need support year round, and your financial contribution allows them to purchase necessary items or support clients in ways that your other donations can’t. Not sure what your local agencies are? Call 2-1-1 for a list of local providers.
- When you see someone on the street, give what you can. Money can help individuals do their laundry, buy food, print a resume, and so much more that will help them get back on their feet.
- Connect folks to services via 2-1-1. While you can’t call on someone’s behalf, you can make sure that friends and strangers alike are aware of this resource.
- Advocate at the local, state, and federal level. We invite you to participate in our annual Homelessness Advocacy Day to talk about state solutions, but there are so many ways that you can make a difference in your community. Work with local businesses to find ways to hire employees who are homeless or encourage practices that don’t criminalize those living on the street. Talk to your city and county elected officials about millages to support more housing and services. Find out your local service providers are advocating for, and join them.
- Stay informed about homelessness in Michigan and ways that you can be part of the solution. Join MCAH’s Legislative Action Committee to stay up to date on federal and state policy priorities, sign up for our newsletter, or follow the social media of amazing organizations such as the National Low Income Housing Coalition on federal initiatives.